Wednesday, June 19, 2013

International Conflict Prevention 101 & First Simulation



Hello everyone!

Like I predicted, it is much harder to maintain a blog during the week when I am slammed with a busy (and extremely exciting) schedule! I have barely had any downtime in the past two days, let alone enough free time to recount my experiences.

We dived into the substantive academic foundation of our program yesterday as Professor P. Terrence Hopmann gave an extended lecture on the primary drivers of conflict. While some of my peers probably felt that the material Hopmann covered was repetitive due to the nature of their studies (either Masters or PHD), I greatly appreciated starting from the basics and gaining the correct terminology and theory for the practice of conflict resolution.

Photo: Prof. Terrence Hopmann addresses participants attending the 2013 Bologna Symposium.
Professor Hopmann lectures on the layers/levels of a conflict

At the end of the day yesterday, we were randomly assigned roles for us to play today for a 7 hour long simulation regarding resolving the crisis in the region that was formerly Yugoslavia (our simulation picked up with the events in 1993). I represented the United Kingdom! My peers and I returned to campus after a few of us split off post-lesson yesterday and grabbed an incredible (and affordable) dinner last night; once getting back to campus, a flurry of activity began as we all scrambled to amass as much information as we could on our respective roles and the interplay of primary actors in the conflict, as well as the agendas of the nations involved in the issues.

The simulation took place today from 9am-3pm with brief remiss for lunch and coffee breaks (thank god!). I became totally engaged and thrilled by the process of the negotiations and the separate caucus discussions that provided the impetus for changes in regional stance and policy. Upon reconvening for an open debate and first drafting of a collective proposition, such terms as ceasefire of the Bosnian Serbs and withdrawal of all troops in Sarajevo and surrounding regions, recognition of the sovereignty of the Bosnian state, the issue of amnesty for alleged war criminals, and many more made it to the table.

Our first simulation: Peace Conference on the former Yugoslavia - 1993
I think it is utterly fascinating to witness how everyone's personalities and role-playing within the bounds of their nation's agendas either proves advantageous or becomes a direct obstacle for adopting active stances on a tough matter. I could go on for a (long) while about all the details of the day-- the triumphs, challenges, and breakthroughs of the group discussions and debates. But, I confess that I am in desperate need of a good night's sleep since for the past two nights Italian students have been watching loud soccer matches a floor directly underneath our room... until 4am.

Tomorrow brings the topic of facilitation training and I am very excited! I also hope to visit the city of Venice with some friends this weekend, so it will be great getting to blog about the floating city!

Buona notte, amici! (Good night, friends!)

No comments:

Post a Comment